Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Good Day

   Last night my wife and I were paying the bills (okay, she does most of the actual work) and we made a startling realization. Due to a perfect storm of dates lining up well with paychecks and rent this month and next, a couple of really good weeks at work for both my wife and myself, and the fact that we have cut our expenses over the past two and a half months, we had enough money left in the bank after paying bills to not only make a significant payment on our last credit card, but pay the entire balance. It would leave us stretched pretty thin, so we agreed to sleep on it.

   This morning we both looked at each other and said, "Let's do it!"

   It will take a day for the payment to be processed, but once it is we will be credit-card-free!

   We are far from our goal of being completely debt-free, but all of our high-interest, soul-sucking credit cards are paid off. To all the credit card companies I sincerely wish you nothing but demise. You are all bone-picking vultures and deserve to reap what you sow. I vow never to borrow money on credit card terms again.

   At this point we still have some loans and a hospital bill. While it's still a tall mountain to climb, it feels great to have the two-steps-forward-one-step-back part of the journey behind us. I also still have yet to complete our tax return, but all that is left at this point is a final go-over and paying the thing.

   We were even able to keep a few dollars to take to the produce stand and the butcher to pick up some fruits, veggies, and raw milk. We cleaned the kitchen (no small task since the dishwasher broke a few days back), I made a big vegetable salad and a fruit salad while my wife made pork chop stew. After dinner we prepped some ribs for tomorrow, did some canning, and started picking out heirloom seeds and planning this year's garden.

   As I type, several pints of canned milk are cooling on the kitchen counter. I'll post an update on how that experiment turns out.

   All in all, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment